Goosen Genealogy

Goosen's around the world!

Johannes Cornelis Goosen

Johannes Cornelis Goosen

Male 1809 - 1892  (83 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Johannes Cornelis Goosen 
    Born 16 Aug 1809  Cape Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Christened 10 Sep 1809  Paarl Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 06 Oct 1892 
    Person ID I76  Jean Babtiste Goosen
    Last Modified 1 Feb 2017 

    Father Gideon Jacobus Goosen,   c. 01 May 1779, Stellenbosch Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother Hester Catharina Malan,   b. 29 May 1779, Stellenbosch, South Africa Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Cape Town Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 08 Apr 1798  Cape Town Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F19  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Helena Elisabeth du Plessis,   c. 26 May 1811, Cape of Good Hope Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Jun 1888  (Age ~ 77 years) 
    Married 1848 
    Type: Civil 
    Last Modified 2 Apr 2006 
    Family ID F21  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Anna Magdalena Celliers,   b. 12 Jul 1807, Cape Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 06 Jun 1872, South Africa Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years) 
    Children 
    +1. Johannes Cornelis Francois Goosen,   b. 7 Mar 1830, Paarl Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Sep 1906, Ladysmith Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years)
     2. Martha Jacoba Goosen,   b. 17 Oct 1830
     3. Gideon Jacobus Goosen,   b. 15 Dec 1831, Paarl Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Jan 1832  (Age 0 years)
    +4. Daniel Petrus Goosen,   b. 18 Nov 1832, Prince Alfred Hamlet Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Oct 1881, Prince Alfred Hamlet Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 48 years)
     5. Daniel Petrus Goosen,   b. 18 Nov 1833, Paarl Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Dec 1833  (Age 0 years)
     6. Jacob Daniel Goosen,   b. 28 Oct 1835, Paarl Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Nov 1835  (Age 0 years)
     7. Anna Magdalena Maria Goosen,   b. 10 Oct 1837
     8. Hester Catharina Goosen,   b. 16 Jan 1840, Tulbach Find all individuals with events at this location
     9. Sara Susanna Goosen,   b. 11 Sep 1842,   d. 9 Dec 1915  (Age 73 years)
    Last Modified 26 Jan 2017 
    Family ID F20  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 3 Johanna Magdalena Schwartz 
    Married 1 Feb 1817  Stellenbosch Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 26 Jan 2017 
    Family ID F22  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos


    Documents
    Prince Alfred's Hamlet in the 60's.
    Prince Alfred's Hamlet in the 60's.
    Prince Alfred's Hamlet - Overview
    Prince Alfred's Hamlet - Overview
    Prince Alfred's Hamlet - The old school
    Prince Alfred's Hamlet - The old school

    Headstones


  • Notes 
    • All information comes from the Ceres Transport Riders' Museum in South Africa.

      With special thanks to Bertdene Laubscher.

      Johannes Cornelis Goosen was born in Klein Drakenstein and came to the Warm Bokkeveld as a young farmer. In March 1851 Goosen bought the farm Wagenbooms Rivier from George Sebastiaan Wolfaardt (married 20 march 1836 to the daughter of Johannes Cornelis) at the “fantastic” price of £6 000. Ten years later he measured out first 80 and then another 10 plots and sold them for £6 000 each. These plots had water rights and each owner also received one morgen of land to cultivate in the Bakoven River to grow feed for their animals.

      While Goosen was busy measuring out his plots, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Alfred, visited the Cape Colony. Goosen decided to name the new town after the Prince and so the name Prince Alfred’s Hamlet was born.

      In 1861 the first school was established with 42 pupils under the tutorship of Master Strobos. The building, a temporary construction, was known as the “House on Sticks”. In 1871 the “House on Sticks” was demolished when a permanent building became available. It was also used as the church.

      A new schoolmaster, D.G. Roux, was appointed and he was to become a spiritual leader in the community. After much negotiation, the school committee managed to get a new building in 1910. Since 1969 the school has been known as the F.D. Conradie Primary School.

      The Commercial Hotel in Hamlet was outspan and resting place for man and beast. After the discovery of diamonds in 1870, the owner, John Taylor decided to start a transport business. He used donkey carts to transport goods from Wellington, through Ceres and Hamlet, to Kimberley. Wellington was then the nearest train station to Kimberley.

      In 1906 the Prince Alfred’s Hamlet members of the Ceres Dutch Reformed Church decided to build their own church. D.G. Roux laid the cornerstone on 5 May 1906. Each member had to help by donating a delivery of the stones and each family bought its own pew. In 1926 a parsonage was built so that a full-time minister could be appointed to serve this congregation. On 5 November 1954 they broke away from Ceres “Mother” Church and Rev. I.B. Fourie took up the position of minister of the independent parish. On 25 April 1964 Fourie laid the cornerstone of the new church. The new building was opened on 14 and 15 November and the old building was converted into a hall.

      A Dutch Reformed Mission Church, i.e. a separate church for Coloured people, was established in 1965 and a church was built. The first minister was J. Marais. This church, as well as many other old houses, did not survive the earthquake of 1969.

      In 1928 Prince Alfred’s Hamlet got its own train station. The Minister of Railways, W.C. Malan, applied the last bolt to the line before the train, filled with school children, left Ceres for the ceremony at Hamlet.

      A Town Council was inaugurated on 8 December 1874 and on 28 December 1910 the town was given the status of Municipality under the Municipality Law of 1882. In 1926 a Town Hall was built and in 1979 the offices next to it were added. The Hamlet Country Hotel is the oldest business still in operation. Part of the building was constructed in the 19th century and since 1940 the Kahn family has run it.